SmallBoatBassClub.net Forum Index SmallBoatBassClub.net
Small Boat Bass Club Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Return to SBBC Main Website

Three Mile 7/18/2009
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SmallBoatBassClub.net Forum Index -> Tournament Series File
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sbbAdmin
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Three Mile 7/18/2009 Reply with quote

Moved to July by DNR.
Hawghunter
Toad !

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunrise in Des Moines is 5:55 on this day. A 5:30 start time is possible.
Bigroostertail
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Three Mile Reply with quote

Saturday morning, Marg suggested or her exact words "I think" that since you did not go to Lincln with the guy's, "SHE thought" it would be a good weekend for me to get my hindend up and paint the garage. (Oh no here we go!)..
(I had to come up with something quick.) I informed her that there was nothing I wanted to do more then too paint the garage. But dog gonit anyway, my thinking was that it was way to humid for the paint to dry.. I told her that given the poor drying conditions that it might be a better weekend for me to get to Three mile and search for some of that deep underwater summertime structure for our upcoming tournament. And that if it was ok with her the garage would just have to wait..Smile Man that was close..

I was on Three Mile Saturday afternoon and Sunday most of the day.
These conditions will change some by the 18th.
The lake at this time is plum full.. With water up into the grass and willows on the shoreline. Water is 78* at the damn and 82 ish on the North end. Visability 2 feet on damn and 1 foot on the North end. There are a few weed beds reaching the surface on the South end and a few locations along the shoreline. A good many of the old trees on the North end have broken off at the waterline over the winter and have blown up on the deep shoreline up North. There is a ton of stuff to flip at.. There is also a good moss mat along the shoreline that really should hold some frog fish.
I fished the shallow and deep shorelines and mat with several baits without much sucess.

With the help of my Navionics chip and a paper map I found several humps out on the main lake. I did pull three bass from one of the humps by pulling a Carolina rigged thing over the top.. 18.5, 15.5, 13" and a 16" Walleye.. I had three others get off. One big fish broke off on the hook set (Musky?) and two small lm got came off on the ride up to the boat.
No matter what.. Fishing is better then painting!
treehunter
Bucket Mouth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey moose
can you add me in the draw for tonite as a boater
my big motor is still not working but we ca still catch the fish just the same

and please add my dad as a non boater. he would like to go if possible
thank you
as usaual you da man and my hero Laughing
treehunter
Bucket Mouth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we are well aware of this
he would rather fish with somebody else anyway Laughing
treehunter
Bucket Mouth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey scottie forgot to say THANKS for putting us in
and dad is aware that he also may not get to fish due to being an outsider
Bigroostertail
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: 3 mile Reply with quote

My net man for the tournament has a full day of work scheduled for Friday. That said we plan or hope at this time to get out of town by 7 pm ish Friday.. Should anyone need a ride etc...
treehunter
Bucket Mouth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like you need a net man that has some vacation time Laughing Razz
Rocket
Club fish
Club fish

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:34 am    Post subject: Dick Herringer Reply with quote

Didn't know where to post this. For those of you who knew Dick Herringer, he was killed Friday night in a boating accident on Table Rock Lake. Evidently he was running on the lake when his boat hit timber from an underwater island. Some kind of service will be held up here either Wednesday or Thursday. I'm sure something will be in the paper, but I'll post the info when I know. I taught with Dick for more than twenty years. At least he died doing what he loved!
kaptain
Toad !

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I’ll get started first:

This was a weird day for most… I got the impression this was not at all a numbers day, despite several pretty good overall limits. All day I caught about 10 fish. I did lose the typical 3-4, but the action was not hot and heavy, and every bite took a lot of effort to get.

I started on a deep point / bank up north, just south of where dan & scott started. Took about 30 min to get maybe 3 clubs, while bob landed a MO and lost one. Around 830am or so with the plastics & Jig not producing well, I switched to a spinnerbait for a shallower flat. Quickly hit 2 missouris and a club. Bob now switches and 10 minutes later loses what probably was big bass hung up in a stick field… it looked 19+, but I just couldn’t navigate through the sticks in time. Bob recovers with another missouri, then loses another one. I hit another missouri, at this point heading a ways north. We stop just short of the next section of good looking shore as to preserve it for another Scottie win. I’d hate for him not to win for 2 straight months  The spinnerbait bite finally died, and we switched back to plastics. With about 40 min left I hooked my 17.5, then had the same scenario where he was hung up on the surface in a nice thorny branch… Luckily he stayed hooked despite it taking me about 90 seconds to navigate to him. Nice net job by bob. Overall, bob had 4 with 3 missouris, but I personally can vouch that he lost 4 missouris. My 4 missouri limit was 955, and I thought based on how difficult it seemed that that would be right outside the top 3, which is how it ended up. Needed 1 more missouri to crack the top 3. Well done again to the high finishers. Three mile is still one of the best lakes we fish, but more and more it has become more challenging than in past years.

I also could not find hardly any of the north lake coon-tail beds… that is where I usually like to fish. Not sure if the silt has covered them or if I just didn’t look hard enough b/c I didn’t want to waste more time.
basscatter
Toad !

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What section of shore was that you passed which direction from the north
ramp?

mark
Leadpipe
Bucket Mouth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Basscatter, where did you find your fish?
basscatter
Toad !

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pipe I started in the cove across from the ramp which in hindsight was a mistake , we spent about an hour and a half or better working the shallows in there and got zip, stopped at the levee on the way out and picked up a club and a couple of shorts. Then we headed to that deep point opposite of the north ramp and got into them a little, caught a missouri and a couple of clubs and then proceeded to dump 2 missouris at the boat , one came un buttoned and the other one broke the line right when I was landing them Evil or Very Mad We fished around awhile and went into the first cove below the north ramp and Nate hits a jig fish and me a and a 15 on a jig, and as they say that was about that lol

mark
Hawghunter
Toad !

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was much tougher than I figured it to be. Thinking this strange July weather has the fish confused. If you follow the pro tour, one of the bigger conversations the last few years has been Intuitive fishing VS Intellectual fishing. Clunn, Dudley, Ike have really been discussing these thoughts. At a high level, Intuitive fishing is one where you don't really think about the time of year, you just fish by feel. Intellectual fishing is one where you take all the given conditions and fish where you think the fish should be. Most feel the intellectual side should be done before you get to a lake, then once on the lake, you let the fish tell you where your next bite is going to come from, so you fish on the intuitive side. It is tough to do that sometimes though.

Anyway, Quinn road up with me, we arrived about 7:15 PM, fished from 7:30 to 9 or so Friday night. We launched on the north end of the lake. Coming into this event, I figured the bite would be the typical 3-Mile summer deal. Fish earth mounds and standing timber in 6-20' of water. Friday night we launched and fished around the boat ramp and the road bed. Nothing. I felt like I should go to the back of the road bed arm (the long one that the road bed is in front of), but it wasn't what I wanted to do. Since we were just pre-fishing, decided to go with that feeling. Started off on the shallow weeds on the north side of the cove. I hit a 16" on a Beaver right away (on a laydown) and then had a Club chase the beaver to the surface. Boat was in 2-3 feet of water, fishing the weed edge in 6-12 inches of water. Then hit a 14" in the back of the cove on a deeper bank, one that the boat was in 5-6 feet of water. But the edge of the bank was in 2-3 feet of water. Friday night pretty much decided just to go fishing on Saturday, fish like I wanted to as I didn't feel I had learned anything from the 90 minutes I was on the water.

So started off Saturday on a channel swing point, Tracy hit 2 Clubs on a Yum version of the smallie beaver, I had what I call a soft bite (more on that later) on a full sized Ring Fry, not no solid bites. At 8:15 after running earth mounds, deeper channel swings, and deep timber, that is all we had. I needed a bite to get me started, so went to where I had bites the previous night. Wasn't expecting anything major, maybe a Club or two, a Missouri would be a bonus. I hit a 14" on the shallow grass, then sent a short out to the middle of the cove on a hook set (literally) on the Ring Fry. Tracy hit a short spinnerbait fish. To the deep bank in the back of the cove, I hit a skinny 18" fish (surprise) on a Ring Fry for #2. Tracy hit a 12" spinnerbait fish and another short. Then he hits a 17.75" fish on his Yum Beaver. I am really confused, after another trip or two on the deep bank, decided to work out of the cove on the shallow grass. I hit a 15.75" fish on the laydown the 16" came from the night before (again on the Ring Fry). So I have 3 (2 Missouris), Tracy has 4 (1 Missouri), it is about 9:45/10:00 or so.

I am confused, but I feel I need to at least check out the off shore bite for a while and want to rest this area as well in case that off shore bite doesn't pan out. I know that Scott has fished that cut bank (where he caught his bigger fish) as that is a place we found together some years back when we fished team events. But we quickly run that before backing off in the timber. After an hour or so of this, without a bite, have to make another decision. Decide to re-run that bank where 5 of our 7 fish have come from and see what happens. So we run it again, I hit a 16" on the Ring Fry from the deeper portion of the bank. It is 11:30 now. Decide to just keep grinding on this spot instead of trying to find another. I put on an 1/8 oz Slider head and a Baby Ring Fry and start fishing very slowly. 6 or 7 Baby Ring Frys later (they kept getting stolen and bitten in half by lethargic fish), I finally hook up with a 15" to complete my limit. It is 12:07. Tracy's boat now, he wants to stay with this. At 1:00 he pours himself a cup of coffee, cup in hand he says there he is, and gets a half hook set. The fish comes at the boat, slack line he asks for help and tries to hand me his rod (lol). I ask for the coffee instead, he finds the fish, sets the hook again and again, finally a 13" is in the net for his 5th. Both Tracy and my limit fish came 5-8 feet off the bank on wood that you couldn't see. We had to slow way down to get these fish to bite, and even then I didn't feel they really wanted the bait. At 1:15 we leave and go back to our starting channel swing. I hit a short, then a 15.50" fish around 1:30 on the Baby Ring Fry to complete my 5 Missouri limit. We head back around 1:45.

For the day, I have 7 fish, 5 Missouris, 1 Club, 1 Short, have another 3 'soft' bites where I could feel the fish mouth my bait as I was shaking it and another 6 or 7 bites where I set the hook on the Baby Ring Fry and came back without a complete bait. Tracy has 10 or so fish on the day, 1 Missouri, 4 Clubs, 5 Shorts. I feel I spent about 1/3 to 1/2 of my time on water that contained fish, the rest chasing where I felt the fish should have been (going back to how I started this post). Didn't expect to be 2nd with that limit for sure, but the day wasn't an easy one. It was a grind for sure, a day that I was happy we both could come up with a limit and anytime you can post 5 Missouris it was a decent day on the water.
Leadpipe
Bucket Mouth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seemed like everyone went up North, Mark asked me where we should start. so we went to the Dam. My thinking was that the wind was blowing right down on it and we might be able to pick off an eazy fish or two befor the wind got wild. Started on the East end at the rock/mud transisition and tryed Spook, Pop-R, Buzz bait and assorted Top Water baits as we moved down the bank.
Gave up on the top water as we started down the dam and tied on a White Chatterbait. Stuck The 13 right away at the spillway. I was running the boat so I flipped him in the boat, Mark unhooked him and put him on the board. Hit another one in back of the spillway (behind the reef Shocked ) but he came un-zipped as I drug him accross the rocks.
"Long story short" I found my fish on the dam. White was the key. 3 on Chatterbait, one on Sinko. Missed two and crashed one reel Crying or Very sad .
Only an hour left and so we decited to head to the ramp and fish around the jetties till it was over. Mark hit both his fish there on a ring split shot ring fry. Rolling Eyes We probably should have just stayed at the ramp all day. Mad
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SmallBoatBassClub.net Forum Index -> Tournament Series File All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: