SmallBoatBassClub.net Forum Index SmallBoatBassClub.net
Small Boat Bass Club Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Return to SBBC Main Website

12 Mile Lake. 10/10/09

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SmallBoatBassClub.net Forum Index -> Tournament Series File
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sbbAdmin
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: 12 Mile Lake. 10/10/09 Reply with quote

Tournament #7. End of the season. This newley renovated lake has a ton to offer..
Hawghunter
Toad !

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunrise in Des Moines on this day is 7:20 AM. 7:00 would be a great starting time.
basscatter
Toad !

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh you'll find out!!! muhahahhaha Twisted Evil

mark
treehunter
Bucket Mouth

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for me this event is in october so i can not go due to bow season is open for deer in iowa witch means for me that every waking second i have free i will be hunting nothing against the lake or anything iam just not going to make any fishing event held in october
shad master
Bucket Mouth

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only was the day longer than most it was way more interesting - started out at home, 3:30 AM - snow on the ground!?! - went to let the dogs out - ran to the door - stopped - looked at me like "are you crazy?" - went back to sleep - headed out to BPS to hook up with Kozel at 4:45 - got a call at 4:55 - "on my way" (can anybody spell Gunther?) - finally on the road - 35-40 mph all the way down I-29 with little to no visibility - called the gang at the Glenwood exit - we are comming, but don't wait for us - 8 miles out of Creston - call from Alex - "uh, we'll wait - no body in a hurry to get on the water" - arrived at the ramp - smoke on the water and a pretty good chop - received warmly(?) by the group - now we have to launch - Kozel's TM prop frozen - finally on the water - headed to large brush pile - completely lost track of everyone else - throwing a jig at the brush pile, but ice in the guides meant I couldn't even cast a 1/2 oz. jig - worked the brush pile for about 1/2 hr - then started working the bank up to the next brush pile - Kozel started hitting shorts on the bank w/ a black/blue chatter bait (was the bait chattering or just his teeth?) - looked for the next brush pile, couldn't find it - kept hitting shorts on chatter bait - John did pick up a couple of club fish - headed back down lake to another brush pile - friggin ice in the guides - switched over to a black/blue Senko - John still throwing chatter bait - worked back into a cove and kept picking up shorts all along the way with a couple of clubs and one MO (John that is, not me) - headed across the lake to a rock jetty - John kept picking up shorts and clubs (another MO) some where along the way - moved back to west side of lake working a sweet bank and cove to finish out the day - John hooked one in the pack of a pocket that wrapped him up - not sure on size - we both hit a bunch of shorts before the day ended.

All in all, it was much more pleasant than a sharp stick in the eye. No really, this was my first time on the lake and, I don't know if it was just because of the fall and the snow, but to me this was one of the most attractive lakes we fish - can't wait to see what it is like in normal fishing temperatures.
Leadpipe
Bucket Mouth

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was one I won't soon forget.
Got on the water Friday at 2 and headed all the way North to the Jetties, that seperate the silt water from the lake water, and started with a spinner bait, jerk bait, crankbait, rattle trap and chatterbait (white). Dave started and staied with a Anderson green ring worm. He stuck 3 or 4 dinks and a small club or 2. I hit a dink or two and that was it. Left there and started checking out other features along the lake on the way back to the damm.
Found a dink or two along the way, but when we left the water at 6, we decided that the place to start would be up North on the jetties.
Saturday caravaned to to lake around 6:30 with Moose and Scott. Got to the lake, and OH MY GOD! That was the weirdest looking lake I'd ever seen. Fog, Steam, Wind, Snow. Ice. And all of it was blowing out of the North, straight down the lake at 40 miles an hour. ( I think I seen Steven King parked in the ramp, looking for some inspiration for a horror story) Since we were a little early, most everyone added layers of clothes. John and Dave showed up and we all agreed to Be safe and go fishing.
Sticking to our plan, we headed North. The ride was something else, but when we got there, we found the conditions were pretty managible, low wind, flat water.
Dave started with his Ringfry and stayed with it. I starte with a Spinner bait and after the ice cut my line I tried other ringfrys. Nothing, untill Dave convinced me to try his Fry. Man they would not leave it alone.
Knowing that we found fish here, we decided to stay as long as we could. Then Dave hit 2 Missouries in a roll and I had started filling a card. The program was set.
I can say that was the first time I had ever POUNDED a spot untill it was beyound repair.
Finished the year with the same weather we started the season with.
Hope next year will be a little calmer. Shocked
shad master
Bucket Mouth

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked with the guys on Bass Resource.com about the problem of ice in the guides and so far I have been advised to use Reel Majic, KVD line and lure conditioner, chap stick (?) and Pam.

Did any of you do anything to ward this off on Saturday or have you done anything like this on other occasions?
Leadpipe
Bucket Mouth

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get the ice out of the line guides, Dave and I put the rod down into the water, and move it around. I actually caught a club fish doing this with a ringfry tight to the rod tip. (see figure eighting for Largemouth Bass) The ice that built up at the reel line guide would just flick off. Ocassionaly a piece of ice from one line guide would break free and travel up to the next line guide wild frozen to the line and then it was time to pick out a backlash with ice fishing gloves on. That will test your patience. Mad
kaptain
Toad !

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had more fun on this day than I imagined on the drive...

Tried a few brush piles... nothing! I honestly would have spent more time off-shore on this day had the temps been a bit warmer, but having trouble casting and feeling bites with gloves on were not condusive to deep water fishing it didnt seem. Even the bites i did get deep (caught 3 shorts & 1 club in about 10-12 foot on a rock pile), the bites were very tough to determine. I also missed a nice bite with about 10 min to go on the day on a deep bank. Throwing the chatterbait on the bank was getting a decent amount of bites. All I pretty much threw after the first hour were the chatter & also a black/blue senko on a 1/8oz spinning rig... texas style. That is all I used to fish deeper... it caught quite a few fish, but mostly the shorts. Honestly, not a lot I would have done differently on this day... if the weather were diff, I would have done other things, but all things considered, I thought we gave ourselves a chance. DU was once again a fun NB to have around... my apologies for being late to blast... Never have had that rep, nor do I intend to do so... Smile
Bigroostertail
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a weird sort of way it really was a good time. At 6:30 am in the dark standing on the boat dock under the lights it was something to see as the North wind blew steam and snow in off the lake onto the boat ramp. As it turned out everyone that fished came prepared. Once the sky brightened enough to launch (Sun never did came up !) what we had was a nice walleye chop with a little snow coming down.. No big deal..
Friday afternoon Alex and I fished about 3 hours. For lack of anything better we started in the coves along the West side of the lake. In three hours I caught two Missouris and a couple clubs. Alex had 1 Missouri and a couple clubs. Saturday am we went back to the same area's and all we could get to go in 8 hours were 9 clubs and 51 shorts... In two years there are going to be a ton of 15 or 16" fish.. The lake looks good. I think we will have a great tournament on it in 2010.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SmallBoatBassClub.net Forum Index -> Tournament Series File All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: