SmallBoatBassClub.net Forum Index SmallBoatBassClub.net
Small Boat Bass Club Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Return to SBBC Main Website

Lake Icaria 09/12/09

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SmallBoatBassClub.net Forum Index -> Tournament Series File
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sbbAdmin
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Lake Icaria 09/12/09 Reply with quote

Tournament # 6. Anyone remember where the ramp is?
Hawghunter
Toad !

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunrise in Des Moines on this day is 6:51. Be a good one to start out at 6:30, if we can find the ramp?
Bigroostertail
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Camping. Reply with quote

Friday night, campfire.. Which campground is everyone planning to meet at? I have a big arm load of fire wood to throw on?
basscatter
Toad !

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do we launch from the ramp on the North side of the lake up in the creek arm?

mark
kaptain
Toad !

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck fellas, I'll miss ya'll by the fire. Will be in touch. Take good notes.
Bigroostertail
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Icaria.. Reply with quote

Scott: Thanks for the tournament report.. Another fine event. Thank you for your efforts.

We had not been to Icaria as a club to fish for several years.
Icaria is a lake that you will find on three of the six 2010 proposed schedule that we intend to offer for consideration next month. At last months meeting serveral indicated that they intended to consider Icaria if our September 09 tournament worked out..

Given Scotts report and your experience would you consider it for next season?
Bigroostertail
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now wish I would have made a trip to the lake when the water level was down. I think the DNR did a killer job of structuring the lake with the mounds and brush pile. The large size of the fish caught was a surprise to me. And the fact that many 13 and 14" fish were caught tell me that this will be a productive lake for many years to come.

VonDollen and I were last boat off at launch. Everyone motored off so we decided to start at the ramp area. We fished it, the jetti and pier for about 45 minutes with only a couple shorts caught. 8 am we went to the damn and worked the brush piles on the North corner, I caught my first and largest fish from that brush on a Blue Black jig and craw combo. At about 9 am we went up the marina arm, fished the brush across from the marina with no luck. 9:45 talked to Scott on the water, said Anderson / Solano had gone under the road to the North. Thought we should go look at it.. Found standing cedar trees in 5 to 7 feet. Anderson indicated that Solano was a run away with that darn jig of his.. I was able to pick one 16" er off of a cedar behind him with a black blue baby hoodaddy.. Maybe should have spent a little more time there? We then went back out to upper end of marina arm and started to miss fish in the heavy brush piles on the jig. I would say I had seven bites with fish on to land only three. They would just lick the jig when it came over a stick , no thump, no tick, no wild run. Just weight. Set the hook and race the fish back to the boat. Maybe could have used a 9.6 / 1 revo for that . My 6.3 had to be cranked hard to catch up to them. At 1 pm several club boats were in the area fishing same stuff. We went out and around to the big point with the brush on the North arm. Chris and Nathan came in behind us. I was able to cull a 14.5 with a 16.5 from that spot. 2 pm we went back to brush in Marina arm and finished it up.. My net man was super! He did not miss anything. He put everything I got near the boat up on the carpet.. Thanks Bob..I just wish that I could have provided him with some of my own net service.. All in all it was a better event then I thought it might be. I would not be opposed to another visit next season.
Hawghunter
Toad !

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't sure what to expect. Bassin8r told me that everything on the lake was pretty much marked with buoys and the brush was visible. So looking at the map (that he provided), picked a spot up above the road bed that I had fished in the 90's. We just fished around that arm hitting anything with rock. The earth mounds (not sure why they are called earth mounds), the road bed jettys, even found a rock pile in 12' of water on the road bed itself. We found that the short fish and the smaller Clubs were up on top in 3-4' of water, the 14" on up fish were out in 5-12' of water. All were on rock for us. The only non-rock fish we caught was a 16" that Nick hit on a buzzbait from some brush. Nick pretty much stuck to a Bitsy Bug with a variety of trailers in a variety of colors from watermelon to blue to junebug. I caught most of my fish (including the 17.75" fish) on a Shaky Head jig with either a Fork Tail or Magnum Finesse Worm both in Green Pumpkin. I tried other colors, but couldn't get them to go on anything but Green Pumpkin. I did hit a 15.75" fish on a Watermelon/Red Jig with a Black/Blue trailer, a 14" on a Clunn DD 1.5 crankbait and a couple small Clubs on a Watermelon Ring Fry (full sized version). We stayed on the rocks all day mainly because we really didn't know what to expect fish wise and while we were not slamming fish, we were staying fairly busy catching them. I hit 13 in total, 5 shorts, 6 Clubs and 2 Missouris. Nick was probably around 10 fish on the day, with 3 Missouris, 3 Clubs and 4 shorts or so. We both went through a few baits, mainly jigs. We didn't lose any fish on the day, we both missed a few on hooksets and I broke off 3 times on hook sets. Not sure what that was about, but I did boat a small 'eye and a local Walleye fisherman fished the exact same water we were fishing all day long. Over all an enjoyable day on the water for sure, I would say this would be a good lake for 2010.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SmallBoatBassClub.net Forum Index -> Tournament Series File All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: