SmallBoatBassClub.net Forum Index SmallBoatBassClub.net
Small Boat Bass Club Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Return to SBBC Main Website

Okoboji 6/06/09
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SmallBoatBassClub.net Forum Index -> Tournament Series File
View previous topic :: View next topic  
treehunter
Bucket Mouth

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there a bad place to get gas for the boat up there or does it matter
is there anyplace that has bad gas
Bigroostertail
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple gallons of old lawn mower gas here in the shed you can have.
Hawghunter
Toad !

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okoboji is out in the middle of no where. You rarely see other boats or people on the lake. There are no docks to fish either as there are no houses on the lake. There are no town folk or places of interest either. I would take Randy up on his offer if I were you.
treehunter
Bucket Mouth

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you guys are a jack a$$
i have been told by a polock that there are places that sell not so good gas (BAD GAS) and that he does not want to be in the boat when the not so good gas kills my motor so if there is any place that sells not so good gas up at boji i would like to stay away from it
thanks for any so called help i can get
Hawghunter
Toad !

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The worst gas I have found is a place called Hector's....They sell Mexican food on Friday nights. Other than that I have not had any issues with 'bad gas'.
Hawghunter
Toad !

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a hint on that though. If you find a place that is selling gas for $1.25 a gallon, I would keep looking.
Leadpipe
Bucket Mouth

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that a year or two McKim purchased a tank of gas that caused his motor to run poorly. And I think another club member or two had a bad experience with local fuel (i.e. Schucks).
I told tree hugger to ask the "ALL KNOWING" boater members for advise on when and where whould be the best place to purchase fuel.
Im hoping that the fishing patterns information will be shared better then the fuel information is being shared. Crying or Very sad
Everone knows about the Mexican resturant that give's "Bad gas" but I think O'Farrel sisters wont give any gas at all. Very Happy
Bigroostertail
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gas in question was purchased at Schucks. I bought gas from Schucks the same day and had no problem what so ever. I can't say they sold bad gas.. Just like i can't say it might have been that Mckimms boat sits outside open to the elements year around. Not sure if it was the first time the boat was used that year or not.. Year old gas in a metal gas can with condensation might create some issues also?? You both have cell phones.. call most anytime after two pm on Saturdayif your stranded.. Smile
Hectors will give you free gas with the purchase of two bean boritto's.

I normally stop at the BP station 10 miles South of Milford at the junction of 18 and 71 to buy boat gas on my way to the lake. Big station with lots of room. They have a double chocolate cookie ice cream sandwich thing there for like $1.49 that pipe normally buys for his boater..
Hawghunter
Toad !

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best piece of pattern advice I can give you: If you are fishing Smallies make sure there is not a rock within 100 yards of your lure. Those brown fish do not like brown rocks. If you are fishing Largemouth, stay away from the weeds. Green fish hate green weeds. If the water is clear at 'Boji (30-40 feet), throw bright orange and char baits. If the water is muddy (5-10 feet) throw orange and char baits. If cloudy, throw orange and char baits. If sunny, throw orange and char baits. Follow those rules and you have a chance to catch a fish. But be careful, the fish you catch may have teeth. Also I have it on good athority that Chatterbaits do not work any longer on any body of water. So you might as well sell all you have now, or melt them down for use in a Cota jig. They were a flash in the pan, they are no good any longer. I am buying them for $0.50 a bait. By Flea Market time the price will be $0.25.
Leadpipe
Bucket Mouth

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to Cabalas at lunch and talked to the "On staff" fishing pro. Told him I was planing to make a Boji trip in the near future, What would he recommend?
He suggested a Orange and Chartruse tube and he said to hook it wacky, 21inches behind a 2inch red and yellow bobber. (Make sure on the 21 inches.) then just drag it SLOW SLOW SLOW, in 165 feet of water.
I don't know, the bobber color seems all wrong. Confused
Hawghunter
Toad !

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cabin prices are up slightly. Dick and I are going to camp the entire week instead of pulling up camp on Thursday and changing location. Cost is now $44 a person for 1-3 nights for 16 staying at the cabin.
Leadpipe
Bucket Mouth

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the directions to Camp Okoboji.
Drive 29 North to the HWY-75 LaMars, exit, which is just South of Sioux City, head North.
Drive Hwy75 North, about45 miles to the HWY-18, exit, head East.
Drive HWY 18 East, about 35 miles, to Hwy 71.,head North.
Drive Hwy 71 North about 10 miles into Milford.
Stay in the LEFT lane.
Drive to Hwy 86 (Big intersection), Turn Left.
In a mile or two you will see a part of the lake on the right.
Next place is a bait an tackle (and fuel) store, on the Right, by the name of "Aw Shuck's" Its right on the turn. If you want to stop there and miss the entrance, there is another enterance at the far end of the lot.
Continue down the road for about a mile or two and you will see a outcropping of trees to the highway. SLOW DOWN and turn right at the "Camp Okoboji" exit.
Drive about 3/4mile and you will see a sign marking the campgrounds.
SWING WIDE its a narrow bridge entering the park.
Drive to the top of the hill and follow the road around to the right,(through the cabin locations) untill you see the cabins facing the lake.
Most cabins have a name sign at the door. Look for "Kings" or "Samual"
I'm pretty sure I've got this right.If anyone can add to this or correct it,please do. We have some new campers this year. Very Happy
Bigroostertail
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject: Boji. Reply with quote

Kozel and i fished in a Wood's Tournament series at Boji this past weekend. The lake looks great. Temps main lake 60*, canal's 68* Water is clear to about 10 to 15 feet on the main lake.
The canal's and slack shallow water areas were starting to show weeds.
We boated some 40 fish Saturday and maybe 25 to 30 on Sunday.

We weight three Missour's on Saturday, and only two on Sunday. The wind proved to be a factor for many. However, as they allways do.. Saturday T was won with a 5 fish limit of Smallmouth = 15.5 x lbs, with big bass of just over 4 lbs. Sunday event was won by a team with 5 Largemouth that weighed #17.5x lbs also had BB at 4.75 ish.. Second place on Sunday was taken by the first place team of Saturday with another sack of Smallmouth.
The smallmouth are currently heavy on beads. I would guess that we will be able to find some yet this weekend. Our guess is that the Largemouth have spawned and the bigger fish have moved back out to main lake or post spawn areas.

We should have a good event.. Good luck to all!
kaptain
Toad !

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots and lots of club fish as usual at boji. Should be lots of limits, missouris were tougher to come by. Weeds are coming in on the main lake as well… they are ahead of last year, but short of 2 years ago. Some sections of the lake have their weed beds in while others are still pretty bare.

The LM limit that the guy won with on Sunday, 5 fish for 17.5lbs were all very large… that is why we think they have spawned…these fish were all 18-20” and only weighed 17.5… they were long & skinny females.
Bigroostertail
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Road report. Reply with quote

FYI

I -29 North has lane restrictions for a good portion of the way from Honey Creek IA to Sioux City IA. Kozel and I went up to Boji last weekend through Missouri Valley , Denison, Oldebolt, Spencer to Milford and encountered no road work on the route once we made Missouri Valley..
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SmallBoatBassClub.net Forum Index -> Tournament Series File All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: