SmallBoatBassClub.net Forum Index SmallBoatBassClub.net
Small Boat Bass Club Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Return to SBBC Main Website

5/17 Okoboji Tournament
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SmallBoatBassClub.net Forum Index -> Tournament Series File
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Cota
Toad !

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet site , thanks scott.
thats a fav. Twisted Evil
kaptain
Toad !

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woods reported results from last Saturday at Okoboji.
1st place: 15.8lbs, big bass of 5.92.
2nd place 15.2lbs, big bass of 4.2.

27 teams, 9 limits, 2 with four fish, most had 2-3 fish.

Dont know if it was mostly LM or SM, but I would guess mainly LM.
shad master
Bucket Mouth

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything about where or how?
Bigroostertail
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Okoboji.. Reply with quote

What a weekend..
I am glad to hear that everyone made it home in good shape.

Coming across West Lake Saturday afternoon was threatning in my boat. I can just imagine how far out on the seat some of the smaller boat drivers had to be when coming across West Lake in that wind.. Bordered on being life taking I think..

For conversation, from a safty point of view, I would like to propose that we provide the option to check in at more then one location. For example: If it should be that I am fishing on East lake and the wind is a factor, then I should be allowed to check in somwhere on East Lake rather then making the trip across West lake just to hand in the cards..

Last edited by Bigroostertail on Mon May 19, 2008 8:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
shad master
Bucket Mouth

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not a bad idea - I was thinking along these lines - we need to have some way to shuttle people around, especially on this lake, to get boats trailers and everybody out of the water safely. We could have met back at the cabins for the weigh in. Let's give this some thought and discuss at the next meeting.
shad master
Bucket Mouth

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the results from Saturday:

1) R. Moose - 1030 fish points (tie breaker with 1/4" bigger bass)
2) J. Kozel - 1030
3) T. Cota - 1025 (also won "Big Carp")
4) D. Prentis - 935 (not counting "Big Muskie")
5) D. Haneline - 810 (Big Bass -- 19.5")
6) K. Toms - 770
7) M. Halert - 765
8) J. Solano - 745
9) A. Nisley - 680 (tie breaker with 1/2" bigger bass)
10 )D. Anderson - 680
11) L. Podkovich- 655
12) R. Walsh - 640
13) Q. Pease - 590
14) D. Utley - 345
15) M. Haneline - 200
16) N. Vodicka - 170

There were 71 fish counted
13 limits
37 MO's
2 over 18"
kaptain
Toad !

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose Ill get the summaries started. Showed up alone on Thursday around noon, got on the water by 1pm. Headed straight to some rock piles and weed beds on the main lake that Ive done well at before, and was very surprised to see no weeds whatsoever and to be able to see rocks in 20ft of water with the calm, clear water. Nothing doing here, so I headed to some docks that I do well at often, nothing doing on them. Threw a jerkbait on a rocky point for awhile and finally landed a 14 smallie. Hit a club LM and a few shorts on a ring fry, but the zero weeds thing was making me wonder. Tried a deep point and another deeper weed bed (with no weeds) and lost one nice fish but never saw it. Thursday night, went into turtle lake and hit 5 fish in my first 8 casts including 2 missouris. Then shook off another 9 fish in my next 20 casts. Left here Thursday night and said well see ya first thing Saturday morning.

Quinn made it in Thursday evening, and he and I went out all day Friday. We began fishing main lake docks on Friday, with him hitting quite a few clubs on the docks with a jig, me picking up few shorts on the ring fry. We hit minnewashta, a few spots on east, and upper gar, all in all we landed nearly 30 fish with only 3 barely missouris.

Saturday hit turtle lake first thing. The place was busy, but we were able to hit our desired spots. Took about 20 minutes to get a hit..but finally hit a 16 on a senko. 5 casts later hit a 16.5. Two missouris to lead off the day. We finally found the clubs and started getting after them pretty easily, both filling limits and beyond in the next 45 minutes on senkos. After getting our fill of turtle and all the boat and fishing traffic, we headed to some miller bay docks. The wind was perfectly still, making us wanting some more chop to hide the boat better (you could see the bottom 2 docks away!). Hit another 16 off a dock on a green jig. Gave up on the calm water 20 minutes later and headed up to the lighthouse canals. Hit a 15.5 senko fish on my 2nd cast. Entered the canal and got in line with several other boats. Hit about 4 clubs with quinn picking up one or two. Fished about 45 minutes in the canal and headed out. On the way out quinn hit a nice 15-18lb musky (about 36) on a jig.

Head to first cove north of atwell point, and lose a nice fish on the first cast. The wind is howling now and we are fighting it pretty hard. Quinn starts upgrading on the jig, trading 13s for 14s left and right. I miss one more bite, and after about 20 minutes, we decide wed better get our behinds back across the lake while we still could. Turns out, we barely could. Took the boat ride of a lifetime and actually wondered half way across if the boat would make it the rest of the way. We were very pleased to get to the other side, and we headed back into miller bay looking like someone had just sprayed us with a fire hose. Fished docks again with jigs, and I hit my 17.25er here. Then picked up a 15er. Headed into miller canal just to take the calm water back to the ramp, not even putting down the trolling motor. They needed some traffic controllers in those canals with three tournaments going on at once, lol. They were jam packed all day long. Got back to the ramp very glad to have made it across the main channel and also glad to have scratched out a limit of missouris that I thought would put me around 3-4th place. Just needed to find a way to put another on that 17.25, lol. We caught around 40 fish combined with each catching about half and half, but it was just another wierd scenario where the missouris bit my jig and not quinn's... Congrats to moose for a good win. Another trip in the books, and once again was very fun hanging around the fellas for a weekend. Thanks to everyone who helped make it happen.
Tom Cota
Toad !

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is how it played out for Nick V and I,Friday we decided to just go fishing,you know have fun and eliminate water.We found a few fish early in the am on west under docks BUT not the fish i was wanting and with west having absolutely NO weeds i didnt feel real good about it ,so we went way up on east past the narrows and found some real good fish holding on wood,then we went back to west and checked out the rock piles and marked not one fish.
Tournament day we decided to fish around turtle lake ,and its cannals
I had a limit in about 45 minutes,nick was struggeling to hook up he had alot of fish come off at the boat,we were fishing jigs and the blk/blue type patterns were the one s we had the most luck on[cotacatchers of course].caught my 18 1/4 on a laydown in the cannal,and my 17 1/2 came out of turtle lake off a point, the point in turtle lake that we found just kept re-loading,it was crowded but most guys were fishing the docks.
went over to east about noon to try and get nick bit,but the fish were gone!so we went back to turtle MAN was the lake howling and yes i did thank god for my 22 ft boat,lol,was a pretty smooth ride.
nick did get a few card fish with a hour and a half left.
looking back i wish i would have given west a better look ,friday we did check out the north end of the lake but i feel like i should have given it a better look,oh well had a blast.and thanks to randy and nick and ken for the food,it was great.....too bad rupert couldnt make it over to say hi!!!!!
and yes i did tail hook a 22 lb carp under a bridge man was that fun ,that was a TRUE test to the cotacatcher hooks!!
we did go back out after the tourney and fish the miller cannals and loaded the boat,and i did snag another carp about 7 lbs,what the heck! cotacatchers are supposed to catch ONLY BASS! Twisted Evil Cota
Leadpipe
Bucket Mouth

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man...I had a good time (except for NO coffee) Me an Ken caught more fish then I've ever caught in any one day. Started catching fish on his third cast Friday and we both caught fish after fish till 7ish. All around 13 1/2" to
17 1/2" .
We caught um on West, East , Uppper Gar and Minniwashataw. we found them under the docks and on the rocks. We found them crusing and holding tight. It seemed like we found fish everywhere we fired.
Well that was Thursday and Friday.....Saturday we could not find a fish for the first Hour? Then we started hitting Dinks. Man that will get ya thinking... I was lucky to fill the card, and even though Ken filled, I don't think we Culled any if at all.
Then Sunday, we went to turttle lake and mixed it up with the other 8 boats in the lake. Before we left the lake we both had 2 to 3 clubs.
Went out to Gull point and started "jerking" a "Clown" colored Rougue. Kens arm was really hurtin (probably from setting the hook Thurs, Fri& Sat) so he said he'd watch and learn. I stuck 1 SM 18.5 and 1 SM 14.5 with 2 big club LM.
All in all we both ended up with a card of 14" to 18.5 fish in 4 hours Sunday.
A big thanks to Ken, Randy and Alex for the vittels all 3 days. And a "Well done" to Shad master for gettin it all done.
Lets do it again sometime. Very Happy
Bigroostertail
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10-4 on the coffee deal...
Thursday afternoon, Father John and I thinking that we would save some gas that we would launch from the hwy 71 bridge into East Lake. We motored down to the Upper Gar Bridge and found Toms and Pipe there rippin lips.. They were on the North Side so we went to the South Side, Solano made one cast and scored a lm. I was still dropping trolling motor and untangleing my rods. About then (before I made a cast) my cell phone rang.. Was Prentis calling from Pikes Point on West lake, wanting to know if I had my camera and if so if I could come up and take his picture. Well if you have been to the photo album on the home page you will see what it was he wanted a picture of.. That is a great fish Dan.. So since we were now way the hell up the big lake we decided to fish some of that. We worked a few dock in the backend of the bay we were in but I don't recall much action. We went accross to Manhatten Point we fell in behind Kaptain planning to work the weed bed that used to be there. Surprise.. No weeds. anywhere. , The lack of growth reminded me of the top Mike Haneline's head.. Laughing Nothing going thier, so we went to the back of Little Miller, after dragging my skag thru the reef back there we fished some of the shallow junk on the bank. We did stick a few club fish and could see many lm bass swimming around. We worked some docks on our way out but really did not find much of anything.. With the lack of weeds, the clarity of the water, Friday we decided to explore the shallow darker lakes of East, Gar, Minni etc. We spent most of the day East of the bridge did find a few fish. I caught one 18" lm in Minni from a bed I think but that was about all I had. Saturday morning knowing the canals had been beat and that there were outher tournaments launching fron East lake we decided to stay out of the canals and picked a spot on West Lake. We were boat # 3, #1 and #2 went East, we went North, stopped on the main lake point as you come into Miller Bay. The docks on the point stand on big chunk rock. I caught 3 lm (1 mo) at that spot in about 15 minutes, Solano had one or two clubs. As the sun came up and the bite slowed down. We hauled balls over to Atwell (still dark there). Not many docks in yet but a few, so we started by Carolina rigging Solano's rock reef. After 20 minutes I stuck the hook to a 24" drum that had taken my crawdad.. I had nothing else going then. I moved in on the docks 10 to 12' foot water standing on rocks in the dark, started flippin the jig craw combo under, and around the dock.. Like Pipe says... "WACKO" fish on.. I found that as long as I was bumping rock I was getting bite. I basically had my limit by 9:30. I did upgrade one fish on the card before noon. I guess I had 10 or 12 Missouri's on the card at weigh in.. John ran a good net.. nothin got away... Thanks to everyone who thru in and made this another fine event...
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SmallBoatBassClub.net Forum Index -> Tournament Series File All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: