SmallBoatBassClub.net Forum Index SmallBoatBassClub.net
Small Boat Bass Club Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Return to SBBC Main Website

7/12 Lake Anita Tournament.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SmallBoatBassClub.net Forum Index -> Tournament Series File
View previous topic :: View next topic  
campfire
Short !
Short !

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to chime in and say what a wonderful feeling it was to clear the cob-webs off of my fishing gear going to anita and wetting a line again and finally getting that awful taste of badger out of my mouth! OH and props to Utley for staying up at the campfire till around 3:30 am. Solid effort Dave!
shad master
Bucket Mouth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treehugger, maybe not the best idea to dis' the guy who adds up the points at the end of the tournament Wink
shad master
Bucket Mouth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a short breakdown of the results:

1. Dave A 1255
2. Dan P 1135
3. Rod F 1095
4. Tony C 1070 (Guest)
5. John K 895
6. Alex N 800 (total verified) Razz
7. Scott G 750
8. Larry P 705
9. Rod G 685 (Guest)
10. Rich W 660
11. Tom C 570
12. Lou H 565
13. Marc H 565
14. Mark L 460
15. Dave U 455
16. Nathan B 425
17. Jim S 360
18. Tracy H 340
19. Corey C 330
20. Bob V 275
21. Bill C 275
22. Randy M 260
23. Quinn P 205
24. Nick V 190
25. Lester N 180
26. Elliot W 160

There were 12 limits
45 MO's
13 that were 17" or over
No Blanks

Good job everybody !
Deadly Invader
Club fish
Club fish

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all I did all day was hope from brush to brush throwing brown jigs and black and blue beavers most of my fish came in the very heart of the brush and on the bottom not on a branch or anything on the bottom caught alot an lost a lot probably lost 4 to5 other missouri I guess 15lb line just didnt cut it I should of thrown 20lb on but I learned not to mention every cast my non boater made was a snag if there is anyone else out there that feels my pain
kaptain
Toad !

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saturday was one of the more interesting days I’ve ever had on the water. The first 4 hours of the day could not have gone any worse…including using my #2 blast position to try to fish topwater in an area that turned out to be different than I had thought, getting my own line tangled in my trolling motor twice in the first hour having to re-tie, and just not getting bit and for some reason not going to the productive areas from Friday because I was thinking it was “too early” to hit them. Funny how you can out think yourself while fishing. Anyway, took about 90 minutes to get a fish, then caught them very sporatically. Didn’t have the limit until about 10am. Luckily hit a 16.25 & 16.75 within a half hour out of the same pieces of brush, one on jig, one on red bug ring fry. Corey loses about a 17”er in the same piece of brush…it was pinned about 3 ft down and would occasionally flash, but I just couldn’t dig him out w/ the net after 10 minutes of trying. In the last 90 minutes of the day, I broke off a large missouri in the middle of the brush (was gonna happen to me sooner or later), one that was probably was the biggest fish I had all day. I then lost another nice fish in some brush, then caught a 17”er out of the same piece of brush. With about 30 minutes to go in the day, I had another fish break off under the boat (wasn’t in brush, I think my line was nicked up pretty good, as it broke several feet about the knot. Anyway, 3 missouris, 2 clubs, was thinking that was good enough for a top 10, surprised to be in the top 5, especially given I had see several nice fish caught throughout the day. Corey fished well through the day also and lost several fish that would have given him a limit too. If I were to make an educated guess, I would say that late in the last hour I had 4 missouri bites, only 1 of which was landed. The difference I noticed was that these bites were coming down on the deeper side of the brush (as alex stated). It seems like the club fish were suspended up high in the brush, so if you got a bite on the fall, it was usually a club. If your bait reached the bottom and you shook it a time or two and it got bit, that was the missouri. Weird weather, weird fishing, good camp fire, good weekend to fish… Nice job to dave, dan, and rod… Let’s do it again soon…
Bigroostertail
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel your pain Invader.. Fishing brush from the front of the boat is a challenge, from the back of the boat is real special. Pipe and I fished some bank and rock ,did not find much going on there. We stayed on brush for most of the day, Like Invader said, if you could get your bait down in the middle of the pile you were likely to get bit.. Did anyone have any luck from the big brush pile up near the dam?
Hawghunter
Toad !

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is it with you and that brush by the damn (LOL). That is all you talked about during the Calcutta as well. Must be a story behind it.

That was one of the wierdest days I have had on the water as well. It was just goofy. I never really figured anything out, at least with what was on my card. The one stretch in the day I did figure it out, my execution stunk. But after the way the day started with the unloading incident, I guess it worked out.

Both Nathan and I had a Club (14" each) and a few shorts in the first hour. I made a long cast out on a point with a Bandit 700 and had was felt like a fish on. I wasn't sure though, it wasn't fighting very hard. Then the fish jumps, OK, it is a bass and a good one. I fight the fish to the boat, at which time I kick a rod/reel overboard (Revo/Cara combo). Nathan had asked if I needed help, I said no, until that happened. I had the fish with about 4' of line out, watching that combo sink to the bottom. I used my rod tip to keep it from sinking to fast, then grabbed my 25lbs of net. I balanced the rod/reel on the net with my left hand, trying to keep this bass away from all of this with my right. Nathan came to the rescue, taking care of the rod/reel, then netting my 17" fish. Good net men are hard to find.

Then I just kind of junk fished around that pontoon arm for the next few hours. I hit a 13" fish on the bottom of a double drop shot rig (6" black/red lizard), and a 12" fish on a Baby Ring Fry. Around (9:15 or so we pulled up on the point the 17" came from. Nothing on the Crankbait I pitched a spinnerbait up on the bank and watched a 16" eat it. I hit a short on the next case, thought that was the deal. 45 minutes later, no more bites.

We had found our way to the road bed on the other arm by this time. I threw the crankbait around a bit, at 10:15 picked up the drop shot. This is where things got interesting for me. 2nd cast with the drop shot (8lb line) I get a light pick up. I set the hook and a giant comes flying out of the water. We are in the middle of the road bed, open water, nothing around us. The fish takes it easy on me to start off, then swims right by the boat, makes 3 runs. My drag handles the first 2, the 3rd the fish breaks off. I figure I just lost the tournament and probably big bass. The fish was an easy 19". The fish hit a Junebug Finesse worm. So I retie, we drift towards the east side of the road bed. 2nd cast, get a bite, I set the hook, feels like a Club to me. Fish gets right next to the boat, as I reach for the net, it throws my Lizard back at me, 16-17" fish. That is enough to torque a guy off. Next cast, same spot another bite. Set the hook, fish feels good, makes one run, breaks me off (finesse worm bite). Now I am a bit peeved. I throw the 8lb rod into the locker, take out a spinning rod with 10lb line. Retie yet again. 2nd cast, another bite. Set the hook, another monster. Thinking I will redeem myself from that first one. Fish pulls drag a bit, gets me wrapped up in brush twice, but it still freely swimming. But I don't have control, another run, line breaks. Fish hit the Lizard, now I am goofy. Think about tossing rods overboard, snapping things over my knee. Between 10:15 and 10:35 I break off 3 times and dump a solid Missouri. But I re-tie.

Finally Nathan hits a couple for his card on the same rig our on the road bed. I finally boat a 16" on the Junebug finesse worm. I pick up a 10" Zoom Old Monster worm and quicky boat a 17" and 16.50" fish. So at least I have 5 Missouris on my card. Later I dump yet another 16-17" fish (Beaver) at the side of the boat. Nathan picks up his 4th fish on the way in using a Power Worm. I did break another fish off early in the day in a brush pile, but it didn't look to be a Missouri. But I broke off 3 times outside of brush and dump 2 solid Missouris on top of that. Two of those 3 breaks offs were monsters.

I know I lost a bigger limit than I came in with, but in doing that I was pretty happy to be in third at days end. Sounds like there were a lot of missed fish on the day. But I can't say the brush caused me any issues with those missed oportunities.. I just didn't execute on the 5 road bed fish I lost. The 2 largest ones broke me off in open water, that is nobodys fault but mine. Getting a fish wrapped in the middle of a brush pile happens when you are fishing that type of cover. Not anything you can do about it, it is just part of fishing that way. But once they are in open water, you shouldn't lose very many. For some reason, that is where my problems were in this event. It was fun getting the oportunity for a big card, but.....By the way, I have a bunch of used 8 and 10lb line in a big ball in my garage if anyone wants it (lol)...Maybe I can use it to straighten out my wheel well....
Bigroostertail
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The brush pile on the dam looks dam good.... Laughing
Is there any salvage of your fender? Scrap iron is like .12 per pound . Shocked
It looked like your tail light might have taken the shot also.. Was it working?

Last edited by Bigroostertail on Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total
shad master
Bucket Mouth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quinn and I got to the lake around 3:00 on Friday to find winds of 25 - 30 mph and white caps on the open water. I had identified 5 or 6 spots that I thought we might be able to get to from our #6 blast position and we checked them out - caught some fish, but didn't really fish hard on any of 'em. Water temps were from 80* to 84* as we traveled around the lake. At one point I asked Quinn to fire up the big motor and he managed to flood it - we were going backwards in the wind with TM on high Shocked . I finally managed to get it started and we were able to motor out - fished the bank back toward the boat ramp and then pulled up on the big brush pile on the point by the camp ground - threw a 6" worm on the edge and got bit - nothing, threw back and got bit again - nothing, third time she smacked it - got her head turned and swung her in the boat (net was buried) - a 19"er ( Very Happy / Sad - why couldn't I have hit her on Sat??).

Spent a long night at the campfire -- good time -- hit the ramp with about 1 1/2 hrs of sleep. Had a drag race with Dave A to the road bed, but kept on going - pulled up on the ditch/flat on the end of the dam - had a hard time fishing it 'cause the wind kept pushing the boat along - we turned the corner and I hit a 12.5" on a Senko - we turned the boat around and tried going against the wind and kept working that flat - had a ton of bites and lost a few (both of us) not very big. Decided to move on back in the cove and Quinn flooded the boat again. So I dropped the TM and we were moving down the bank when I threw to an isolated stick-up and stuck a 16.5"er. We worked our way down all the way to the tube in that cove and had a ton of shorts on, but nothing that would measure. Finally, I was picking out a "professional overrun" and when I went to reel in - discovered I had a 15" on. This led me to believe we were fishing too fast, so slowed down for the rest of the day, but no improvement. Came around the point that divides the two coves and three a 6" worm to the bank and immediately got bit, set the hook and it almost drug me out of the boat, kept reeling, but could'nt make any headway - he dove under the boat and I couldn't bring him up (had visions of a wall hanger) finnaly began to gain on him and Quinn was leaning over the boat, suddenly he looked at me a grinned and pulled up the net -- an estimated 6# or 7# catfish Mad . We kept working the cove all the way to back, kept getting small bites, left and tried working the brush piles up the ramp arm past the road bed - lots of bites, no hook ups - left there and went to Cota's rock pile - after looking at the depth finder, Quinn got excited so we anchored there for awhile - kept getting bites, but no fish. Left there and went back to the ditch where we started - as we came around the corner Quinn finally hooked a 13" at 1:20 PM and then a 14" about 15 minutes later. Worked the bank for a little while longer and headed in. made a few desperation casts at the brush piles as we went by, but nothing.

Don't have any idea how many shorts Quinn and I hooked on the day, or how many came unbottoned that would have carded. But overall a good day of fishing with some interesting lessons. Can't wait to get back out there again.
treehunter
Bucket Mouth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really do know how to back a boat in thw water and pick it back out again
i guess theres a firts time for everything Mad sorry rod if i can do anything let me know it will get done
had a good time fishing besides being cold for a while in the moring
Shocked had a blast fishing and learned a lot good fishing rod Very Happy
Leadpipe
Bucket Mouth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey treehugger, you'd think a nice boat like that would have curb(dock)feelers. Very Happy
Tom Cota
Toad !

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right Pipe,and youd think a guy with a TEAM NITRO shirt could back in a Nitro!!!!!!!!!Lol cota Evil or Very Mad
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SmallBoatBassClub.net Forum Index -> Tournament Series File All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: